Thursday, March 12, 2009

Righteous anger

I found myself having a flash of righteous anger last night. Since we can't really be righteous when we're angry, I had to internalize this a bit before I pinned down that I was insulted by something that happened at work. Insulted on two fronts, no less.

Am I critical to this operation or no? You tell me "yes" but then schedule a critical week of planning while I am OUT OF THE OFFICE!!! I can anticipate the follow-up and the expectation that I somehow "fix things" that would have been avoided if the meetings could have been postponed one week.

Oh, wait a minute...I don't even want to be considered critical. I have other things to do...other areas of interest that I am trying to develop. So, if I were to set aside my hurt feelings and my frustration with the way planning has worked out, maybe, just maybe I should be feeling righteous joy. I choose joy.

I'll let you know how it works out.

2 comments:

Becky Brown said...

Ugh. I can really, really relate to this. It's a struggle to shift from finding so much of your sense of self from work.

Good luck. And if you figure out how to make this shift somewhat painlessly, would you let me know?

you gotta wonder said...

Relatively speaking I'm doing much better, but occasionally I have a relapse.