Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It just goes to show....you never know

In the last week I had many conversations with folks that in hindsight all orbited around the same theme. And in hindsight all contributed to my "readiness" for a conversation that took place Monday. I postponed the posting of this information for many reasons, and I can't really do it justice even now (for different reasons).

There are many ways to break the news that you've lost your job... Here's what I got Monday.

"You have been selected to lead a team which we've identified for a special project. This team will be piloting a new business model. This new model is critical for our ongoing success. In this model, you are no longer an employee of our company. Starting Friday, should you accept this assignment, you will be an employee of our supplier."

This situation was communicated to me first (on Monday), ahead of the other ~30 affected employees, solely because I was leaving on vacation Tuesday. I met with my old boss, then my new boss and then a rep from Human Resources. They referred to me as their "dry run." Part of the exercise involved my telling them each they were doing a good job delivering the message.

Then I told my husband, my son, my parents, my sisters.... Then I left on vacation.

The announcement came out today. There were "emergency meetings" and messages rolled. My phone has been ringing, buzzing with text messages. When I logged into work, instant messages popped up. It's nice to know so many people are worried about me. I'm fine, really. I'm joining a growing organization, leaving one that's shrinking.

In accepting this new role, I see that it is critical for my new team to embrace this opportunity. Really it is an opportunity because so many people have been let go - "Step off the platform, into space" vs. "Step off the platform onto the waiting train." The new team is made up of top performers. The company is banking on our success. Both companies are.

From my perspective, my faith has been rewarded. I don't know what my future holds, but I trust that I have a future.

No comments: